Monday, November 3, 2008

Language Arts Assignments for November 3 through 7


Hello everybody! I hope you had a great Halloween weekend. I took my kids back "home" to trick-or-treat Friday after school; saw a high school playoff game in Metamora on Saturday; had we had a bonfire at myparents' house. Then we came back to Chi Town on Saturday night. On Sunday my kids had a playoff football game which we lost. Booh! Oh well, this is what we will cover this week in language arts:


Monday


We will:

§ Discuss Tone, Mood and Setting
§ Watch Tell Tale Heart video on YouTube
§ Read Poe’s Tell Tale Heart aloud in class


Tuesday



We will:

§ Finish reading Tell Tale Heart aloud in class and discuss
§ Continue Whitman and Dickinson poetry discussion from last week.
§ Read and discuss these Whitman poems: A Noiseless, Patient Spider; Beat! Beat! Drums!; In Paths Untrodden


Wednesday


We will:
§ Discuss Whitman poetry from Tuesday
§ Read and Discuss these Emily Dickinson Poems: Dying( I heard a fly buzz when I died); Because I could not stop for Death; I hide myself within my flower

§ Discuss the styles of Whitman and Dickinson

Thursday


We will:

§ Revisit Whitman and Dickinson poems, and tie into music
§ Discuss music and poetry
§ Distribute bio information on Maya Angelou, Queen Latifah, and Lauryn Hill, and discuss
§ Read and discuss Angelou’s essay “They Came to Stay
§ Read and discuss Angelou’s “Still I Rise”

Friday


We Will:

§ Play Latifah’s Come Into My House” two or three times, and distribute lyrics
§ Discuss image of black women found in Queen Latifah’s song. Can students identify the similarity of theme with that of the poem? Can they find an example of sampling? Of call and response? Can the rhythm be clapped

§ Play “The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill” and distribute the lyrics. Have students discuss thematic similarities.

No comments: